The history of Everett Golf & Country Club For over 100 years, locals have simply called it The Country Club
For over 100 years, locals have simply called it "The Country Club”. Through those years, Everett Golf & Country Club has developed a heritage perhaps unmatched by any club in the Pacific Northwest. The Club’s first professional, Tom Morris, is believed to have been the nephew of fondly revered epic golf champion Old Tom Morris of St. Andrews.
Two of the Club’s most famous junior golfers, Jack Westland and Anne Quast, developed into national champions. The Club’s members have included senators, governors and congressmen and its roots go back to James J. Hill, a Canadian-American railroad executive. He was the CEO of a family of lines headed by the Great Northern Railway, which served a substantial area of the Pacific Northwest, along with the Upper Midwest and the Northern Great Plains. The very men who founded the Club were the builders of Everett itself.
The Club was founded in 1910 by the very men who were the builders of Everett itself. Located on a hill overlooking the city, the golf course, originally nine holes, was laid out over sixty-six acres and possessed beautiful views of the Cascade and Olympic mountain ranges, plus Everett’s harbor on Puget Sound. The Club was nearly twenty years old when it made the expansion to eighteen holes. Some thirty years later, alterations were made to allow for a driving range, and the club also held the rare privilege of demolishing – rather than burning down – the old clubhouse to make way for the construction of a spacious new modern facility. In 1961 the new clubhouse – the very one that stands here today – was built with the addition of a swimming pool. Over the years, frequent tree plantings gradually transformed the barren, treeless site of 1910 into the impressively forested fairways of today.
The Club itself possesses a relaxed atmosphere, a casual environment where members from widely diverse backgrounds mingle easily and guests always feel at home. The reputation of the club for its friendly atmosphere is well known and admired throughout Western Washington. Those fortunate enough to belong enjoy not only the challenging golf course, but a spacious and comfortable single story clubhouse, not to mention the seasonal outdoor swimming pool and Cabana. Inside the clubhouse dining room, members enjoy the cuisine a first rate culinary staff.
The golf course is an old northwest classic – short by modern standards; relatively hilly, smallish well-mounded greens with narrow fairways lined by thousands of stately Douglas Firs. A sound test of golf which, in spite of its short length, has three times successfully withstood the shot-making abilities of the PGA tour. While these qualities were the result of no one single master plan or design, the heavily timbered end result of what just sort of happened appropriately reflects the history of the city it overlooks – a city once known proudly as "The City of Smokestacks”.